Land Disposal and Waste Water Management
- Over 90% of residents in Benzie and Leelanau County utilize on-site sewage disposal and on-site residential water supplies.
- Our health department issues, on a per capita basis, more on-site septic and well permits than any other Environmental Health Division in the state of Michigan.
- In addition, our health department was one of three in the state chosen to pilot a field evaluation component of the on-site sewage program accreditation.
- In 2001 a new alternative treatment system regulation for sewage disposal was adopted in Leelanau County. Benzie County adopted a similar regulation in 2002.
- This group (www.wastewatereducation.org) is an organization that promotes clean ground and surface waters in the field of waste treatment.
Water Quality Management
- Protection of our lakes, streams, and the water we drink is promoted through the proper installation of individual water wells and the monitoring and regulating of Type II water supplies to ensure safe, usable ground water.
- Our goal of minimizing foodborne illness risk is met through inspection of fixed and temporary locations where food is prepared and/or served and by educating food establishment operators.
- Click here for information from the National Restaurant Association and the Serv Safe Program
- Click here for temporary food checklist.
Community Health and Safety