Children's Special Health Care Services (CSHCS)

Children's Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) helps persons with chronic health problems by providing:

Coverage and referral for specialty services, based on the child's health problems.
Family centered services to support you in your primary role as caretaker of your child.
Community-based services to help you care for your child at home and maintain normal routines.
Culturally competent services which demonstrate awareness of cultural differences.
Coordinated services to pull together the services of many different providers who work within different agencies. 

Who Can Join?

Children must have a qualifying medical condition and be 20 years old or under.
Persons 21 and older with cystic fibrosis or certain blood coagulation disorders may also qualify for services.  CSHCS covers more than 2,700 diagnoses.
Some common medical conditions that may qualify for CSHCS are:

  • cancer
  • cleft palate/cleft lip
  • club foot
  • deformed limbs/amputations
  • certain vision disorders
  • blood clotting disorders
  • hearing loss
  • muscular dystrophy
  • epilepsy/hydrocephalus
  • kidney disease
  • cerebral palsy
  • liver disease
  • hypospadius
  • myelodysplasia/spina bifida
  • paralysis/spinal injuries
  • cystic fibrosis
  • insulin-dependent diabetes
  • certain heart conditions
  • neurological disorders
  • sickle cell anemia  

Eligibility in this program is not based on income.
To inquire about CSHCS call 231-256-0200.

If your child is currently enrolled and you and your child:

  • Need mileage/meals/lodging support for an out of town specialist/hospital visit
  • Need to see a new specialist or add a new specialist to your child's list of providers
  • Would like to apply for support from the Children's Trust Fund
  • Would like to speak with the CSHCS nurse by telephone, in the office, or by home visit to develop your child's annual plan of care, coordinate services, and receive more information about the CSHCS process

Call your local health department office to speak with:

For General information call 231-256-0202

To speak to a nurse call

Leelanau County: 231-256-0227  Autumn Jurek RN

Benzie County: 231-882-2164  Birdie Besey RN