FAQ Personal Health

Q:  How much do Health Department services cost?

A:    Some health department services are free; some services require us to bill insurance.  However, reproductive health services are not free.  We provide low cost reproductive health care based on household income, adjusted by a sliding fee scale.  You will be asked to disclose your income and income that is available to you.  This may include: spouse, partner, and/or parent’s income, summer jobs, and part-time jobs.  Payment is expected when services are rendered.


Q:  Can I get birth control pills at the Health Department if I have had my annual exam at my doctor's office?

A:    You may obtain birth control from the Health Department as long as you have made an appointment, registered as a client, have seen the Nurse Practitioner or RN for an evaluation and there are no contraindications.


Q:  Do my parents have to know that I'm "on the pill?"

A:    Federal Rule Title X says that adolescents can seek birth control information and methods without parental consent.


Q:  What is "emergency contraception?" 

A:    Emergency contraceptives are methods of preventing pregnancy after unprotected sexual intercourse. They do not protect against sexually transmitted infections.  Emergency contraception is available at both offices of the health department.  Learn more at http://ec.princeton.edu/ or call 1-888-NOT-2-LATE.


Q:  I think I'm pregnant.  Can I come to the Health Department to find out? 

A:    The Health Department offers pregnancy testing.  Call to schedule an appointment.  You will know the results of your pregnancy test at that appointment.  You will be offered options, education, and resources.


Q:  I'm not sure when I can get to the Health Department.  Can I just 'walk-in'? 

A:    Nurses may not always be available for walk-in consultations.  Appointments are recommended.


Q:  Should my child get the chickenpox shot? 

A:    Chickenpox is caused by a virus, and can result in serious complications.  It is recommended that all children be vaccinated.  Visit the Centers for Disease Control for more information. 


Q:  What should I do about head lice? 

A:    Both adult lice and eggs that have not yet hatched (“nits”) must be eliminated.  Detailed instructions are available at the Centers for Disease Control